Common Ground Arts Society (Common Ground) is seeking an artist and/or arts administrator for a highly flexible permanent part-time position within the organization’s leadership.
Meet who’s already part of our tiny but mighty team!
Contract Status: Permanent part-time (~30-40 hours per month)
Posting Deadline: April 27, 2023
Reports to: Managing Producer
ABOUT COMMON GROUND ARTS SOCIETY
Common Ground Arts Society is a tiny but mighty arts organization getting it done on passion and grit. Based in amiskwaciwâskahikan (Edmonton) on Treaty 6 territory, we radically invite artists of all disciplines at all stages of their career to wildly experiment with process and craft. Mentorship and learning is at the core of everything we do: we’re still learning, we’ll never stop learning, and we want to share in that learning with you. Common Ground produces two major annual events (RISER Edmonton and Found Festival) and engages throughout the year in mentorship and production activities.
RISER Edmonton is a collaborative producing model for theatre and interdisciplinary artists to create and present new work by pooling underutilized producing and logistical resources. RISER is presented in partnership with Why Not Theatre, who originated the program in Toronto in 2014.
Found Festival is Edmonton’s celebration of art in unexpected places. We’ve presented works of theatre, dance, poetry, music, visual art, and everything in between across the city. Storefronts, parks, pools, hotels, and your front door – we bring magical moments to Edmonton’s already vibrant streetscapes.
We believe in creating safe(r) spaces that allow for brave creative risk. We acknowledge that in order to truly fulfill that commitment, we must work with community and for community. We’re working from the inside out to help uplift, celebrate, elevate, mentor, and springboard artists and arts workers in our community by ensuring our organization hires at least 35% IBPoC and 50% women and non-binary people in paid, professional positions by 2024, as part of the priorities identified by the 35//50 Initiative.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Associate Producer Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Year-round: Supporting the Managing Producer (Mac Brock) and Administrator (Shannon Lin) with CGAS operations. Operational tasks may include (but are not limited to):
- Contribute to the writing and reporting of operational funding applications;
- Assist with financial record tracking;
- Maintain the CGAS website;
- Develop reports or materials for monthly board meetings; and
- Meet weekly to discuss ongoing tasks.
- Peak hours May-July: Supporting the Managing Producer and Found Festival Director (Whittyn Jason) in the planning and execution of Found Festival. Festival tasks may include (but are not limited to):
- Produce on-site alongside the leadership team at the Festival (next Festival: July 6-9, 2023);
- Manage artist contracts and payment tracking;
- Liaise between Festival artists and production team;
- Contribute to development of marketing materials; and
- Oversee internal communications to Festival contractors and volunteers.
- Peak hours December-March: Supporting the Managing Producer and RISER Production Manager (Kat Evans) in the planning and execution of RISER Edmonton. RISER tasks may include (but are not limited to):
- Produce on-site alongside the leadership team during RISER (next RISER: January 31-March 9, 2024);
- Schedule meetings with RISER artists and assisting with tracking of production needs/information;
- Work alongside the RISER Senior Partners to schedule rehearsals and production workshops;
- Work alongside consultants to plan and execute accessibility initiatives for both artists and audiences; and
- Schedule All-RISER training workshops alongside the Managing Producer.
Common Ground values a flexible work environment that responds to employees’ and contractors’ needs and schedules (we’re artists, we get it). The bulk of work will be performed virtually on the Associate Producer’s schedule, save for priority times when some in-person work may be required.
Common Ground works on a seasonal schedule with significant peak months and slower preparatory months. On average, we estimate the Associate Producer will work 30-40 hours per month. During RISER Edmonton (January-March) and Found Festival (June-July) the Associate Producer may work closer to 90-120 hours per month. In other months, particularly August-November, the Associate Producer may work closer to 10-20 hours per month.
February and late June-early July are expected to be near full-time commitments.
The Associate Producer will be paid a rate of $23/hour based on tracked and reported hours on a bi-weekly basis.
HOW TO APPLY
Send an email to email@example.com briefly outlining your interest in the position (no full cover letter required!) and attach a resumé by April 27, 2023. All candidates will be notified of the status of their application no later than May 2, 2023.
This posting deadline may be extended if necessary. All candidates will be notified if the timeline of hiring changes.