Found Festival presents original performances and art installations in unconventional spaces in Edmonton, Alberta.
Found Festival is an equal opportunity presenter. Artists in varying stages of their career, with formal training or none, and of diverse identities, cultural backgrounds, and abilities will be considered. The festival dates are July 4 to 7, 2019.
Before you go any further! Do written submissions scare/bore/aggravate/overwhelm you? Cool. Email email@example.com and let’s have a meeting!
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Found space, site specific, and installation based work;
- Any artistic discipline: music, dance, visual art, film, performance art, theatre, writing, etc.;
- New or previously produced performer-created work;
- One-minute performances, weekend-long endurance art pieces, and everything in between;
- Projects should be informed by or built to suit found space; and
- Preference will be given to projects that best consider community impact, integrate use of found space, or are informed by their desired location, and prove the consideration of the performers’ relationship to audience.
Project Submissions (Individuals or Ensembles):
- Maximum two pages (not including Lead Artist CV and support materials). PLEASE: do not include artist or company name in header or footer of document. During the first stage of selection, applications will be reviewed anonymously to ensure a fair and unbiased process.
- Project description including desired audience experience;
- Desired venue(s)/location (specific locations or types of location, i.e. Wee Book Inn vs. a used book store);
- Potential community impact (how the project involves and/or effects the local community, additional outreach activities to be associated with the project);
- Potential requirements (power access, sound, lighting, projection, etc.);
- Creation and development process for new work, including timeline;
- Self-promotion initiatives;
- Company Bio (if applicable), Lead Artist CV(s); and
- Support material (past performance history, script excerpts, photos, videos, etc.).
DEADLINE: Submissions are open until festival is fully programmed.
Applications submitted before midnight MST on February 4, 2019 will be assessed by February 11, 2019.
Please send Submissions to Artistic Producer Beth Dart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT YOU GET IN RETURN:
Found Festival will provide successful applicants with:
- Presentation guarantee and/or box-office split;
- Festival artist passes;
- Front of house support;
- Advance and on-site box office services;
- Secure an appropriate venue through a community or city partner;
- Assist in sourcing, setting up and troubleshooting technical equipment;
- Festival marketing and advertising, including online, festival program; and
- Artistic or producing mentorship, if requested.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN CONSIDERING YOUR FOUND SPACE:
- Found space performance requires close consultation with the City of Edmonton and community partners to ensure the use of public or privately owned property;
- CGAS works closely with these partners to secure locations, and will facilitate these relationships for artists;
- Found Festival ‘Found Grounds’ are located in the back alley behind the Backstage Theatre (10330 83 Avenue, facing Gateway Boulevard). The festival aims for all venues to be within a 10-minute walking distance of the Found Grounds;
- We are committed to presenting innovative, entertaining, and provocative new works that push the boundaries of audience interaction, allowing both spectators and performers to engage in a more stimulating brand of risk-taking and play; and
- For more information on Common Ground Arts Society, visit www.commongroundarts.ca or email email@example.com.
Common Ground Arts Society respectfully acknowledges Found Festival is located on Treaty 6 territory, the traditional gathering place for diverse Indigenous peoples whose histories, languages, and cultures continue to influence our community. We are all treaty people.